January 28, 2013
It was to guard us against this inevitable decay of government that the Constitution was written. Its purpose was and is not to enthrone a Government superior to an imperfect and confused electorate, but to protect us from such a government.”
It’s always reassuring to hear from the old 1960s radical, David Mamet. He survived his education at Chicago’s Francis Parker School (whose founder created the Winnetka Way of progressivist non-education before the school), earned a Pulitzer Prize, and wrote Glengarry, Glen Ross, all as he was transforming into a solid Constitutional conservative. Now he’s coming out for the 2nd Amendment. Read more here.
January 27, 2013
Sunday good news: congratulations to Jason Barney, a Latin teacher at the Clapham School in Wheaton, Illinois, who has received Hillsdale College’s Salvatori Prize, including a $25,000 donation to his school. Inspired by the Hillsdale classical education model, Barney writes in Imprimis (January 2013), he seeks to retrieve and teach “much that has been forgotten or abandoned.”
He continues, “Too many citizens of our country today are, in Cicero’s terms, forever children. If knowledge of the past matures the soul, it is not something we can afford to marginalize or sideline . . . we live in a culture of Peter Pans, flying free in Neverland with no past and no future, only the ever-present game, the mock battle against pirates or Indians.”
As Cicero wrote, *“Not to know what happened before you were born, that is to be always a boy, to be forever a child.”
Learn more about the Clapham School here.
January 26, 2013
Well, NTRO still can ask for money – notwithstanding it’s being an “off year,” and notwithstanding the group’s 100% failure in the 2012 election. Let’s take account: every candidate they supported lost, including Bob Dold (whose district no longer covers New Trier Township). Did NTRO help Republican Tim Wolfe, who took on our 9th District representative, Jan Schakowsky, reknowned as the most liberal member of Congress? No, Wolfe is, well, too outspokenly conservative, not even allowed to give a 2-minute speech at the annual Dinneree. Did they support Glenn Farkas in his run for State Senate? Did they assist Glenn in his recent (failed) attempt to get on the ballot for school board in Glenview? – no way. Are they working with Jasmine Hauser, a committed conservative who is running for Wilmette District 39 school board? Did NTRO join other courageous conservatives last week in publicizing an anti-gun rally that sought to undermine the Constitution (1st and 2nd Amendments)? No, might offend some . . . donors.
Memo: just wrote my grocery list on the back of the NTRO solicitation.
January 26, 2013
What we used to take for granted in this country now is under attack by the collectivist propaganda agenda aiming to change America into a new flavor of social democracy – where socialism meets corporate cronyism under a corrupt Chicago Machine that has moved into the White House. The First Amendment and Second Amendment to the Constitution are the bedrocks under attack from their drills. Looking the other way – in the face of an anti-gun North Shore panel (at least two of whom sing in the choir at Kenilworth Union Church) – is no longer safe. Who are the Nazis here? Just asking.
*This scene from Casablanca always has been a favorite. Back in the 1960s, I know from personal experience that Casablanca played 24/7 at the movie theater in Harvard Square. Where are those hip college kids now?
January 25, 2013
These are the 13 rules of gun fighting everyone should know:
- Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians.
- It’s always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
- Cops carry guns to protect themselves, not you.
- Never let someone or something that threatens you get inside an arm’s length.
- Never say, “I’ve got a gun.” If you need to use deadly force, the first sound they hear should be the safety clicking off.
- The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
- The most important rule in a gunfight is: always win – cheat if necessary.
- Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but he’ll have to beat you to death with it, because it’ll be empty.
- If you’re in a gun fight, if you’re not shooting, you should be loading. If you’re not loading, you should be moving. If you’re not shooting, loading or moving, you’re probably dead.
- In a life and death situation, do something . . . it may be wrong, but do something.
- If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense. If you have a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?
- You can say “stop” or “alto” or any other word, but a large bore muzzle pointed at someone’s head is pretty much a universal language.
- You cannot save the planet, but you may be able to save yourself and your family.
“Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.” Thomas Jefferson
H/T C. Steven Tucker